This is it. This weekend is our first tournament together, Eldest Daughter and I. She's done a few local tournaments in the last two years, and I've done a few local ones too, but mine were almost 15 years ago so, er, well, that is to say... I'm a touch nervous.
We had a long talk about it this morning here's the gist of what I told her.
- Remember that I love you.
- Remember to fight clean, even if your opponents don't. Titles and trophies are not nearly as important as your honour and character.
- Remember that sometimes judges and refs make mistakes because hey, we're all human. Accept the ruling with good grace and move on.
- Always show respect for your opponents, their coaches, the judges and referees. If you win a fight, bow to the ref and your opponent and go shake hands with your opponent's coach before you start celebrating.
- Fight to win, but don't worry about winning. Worry about being a good person. That way when you win you'll still be pleasant to be around.
- Now go kick ass. ;)